Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Turning 40 ...

Well, it has happened. The end of June, I turned 40. I know that is really surprising to most of you. :) I actually felt really good about it. When I was in my late 20's, early 30's it was weird having birthdays and I went through this almost grieving period feeling like I was getting old. At this point, I just feel like life passes by quickly so I should enjoy every piece of it along the journey. The day of my birthday was marathon day for our ward. We started with a baptism at 12:00, then had a ward temple session at 4pm with a mingle afterward and a ward activity at 7:oopm. At first, I thought it would be a strange way to spend my birthday, but then after thinking about it, I realized I have always thought the best birthday celebration was to spend the day doing things you love to do, so spending time with my ward sounded like a great idea. Robin and Madison came the night before, which really added to my favorite things list and I got to spend the morning school clothes shopping for Madison, starting at 7am. I skipped the ward activity in the evening so I could spend more time with them. It was a great day.

Living the LDS lifestyle that we all do, we tend to not age quite as quickly as other people, so I have felt that I still have a lot of youth left in me and people tend to guess my age younger so I was feeling pretty good and not worrying about being old. That changed when Robin, Madison and I were all in Kohl's shopping. Robin had been trying on clothes and accidently put her shirt back on inside out. When we were at the check out, a lady pulled me aside and said, "Excuse me, maam, your daughter has her shirt on inside out." I thanked her for reminding me it was my 40th birthday, because that daughter with my granddaughter is really my sister with my neice. :) Not really, but I thought it was the perfect classic thing to happen on your 40th birthday. Here is a picture of me with the girl who got baptized that day. Her name is Cora.



PS I have been gone for a month, so expect to see more posts here soon to catch you all up on my fun trips.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Ok, I'm still certain that if my back had not been toward her it would have been obvious that I was not your daughter. I guess it makes a great turning 40 story anyway. I'm glad you had such a great birthday and I love your attitude about it all.